God gave me a job
Well it’s been one month and a day since I started my new job, so it’s about time I blogged about why I like it.
Everyone kept telling me that God must have the right job for me. People said that all the time because they could see that finding a job was becoming a little tiresome for me at times. There’s a certain point in all the rejections when you wonder why you went to an expense college when people won’t even hire you as their receptionist.
The most depressing thing was that I had to go to Ridgecrest for various reasons and everyone would ask me if I had a job yet … and all I could say was “nope, no yet.” I feel like some people thought I wasn’t trying hard enough, but I really was. I had a lot a great internships and jobs in college that made my resume pretty impressive for being a recent grad. But I didn’t have any takers for almost 2 1/2 months.
The company I work for now was the 11th place I interviewed at. I can’t even remember how many times I actually sent my resume out. I would tell my roommates that I should write a book about interviewing skills because I got to practice it so much. Some of those jobs I was underqualified for, most I was overqualified for, some I thought I would have been perfect. But none of them I got.
Then came a job listing for a PR assistant, found on Craig’s List, that I didn’t really have to much hope for, but tried anyway. They called me that next week. I had a two day, four hour total interview. And they gave me a job offer the next day when I was practicing a dance the bridesmaids were going to perform at Kim’s wedding reception.
It’s amazing how perfect this job is for me right now. It’s not what I want to do for the rest of my life. But for right here and right now, it’s great.
I’ll now go into bullet points on why my job is cool.
- It’s less than 4 miles from my apartment. (In LA that is unheard of!)
- It’s a job within the field I studied in college
- I actually studied some of their clients while in school and now I talk to them on the phone
- Paid overtime
- I love West LA and tall buildings and I work in the one of the only spots in West LA that has tall buildings
- I start at 8:30. Still early, but late enough.
- Free breakfast every Friday morning
- Free Starbucks (usually)
- The executives I assist are awesome so I’m learning a lot!
- I still get to work with entertainment
- I’m the back-up assistant to the “Godfather” of PR